Whether this is your first time heading to Miami or your tenth, Miami’s Carnival is always a good time. The Miami Broward One Carnival Host Committee (MBOCHC) and the South Florida Carnival Bandleaders Association have announced that they will host the 37th annual Miami Carnival cultural festival on Columbus Day weekend. Here’s what you need to know!
The parade will take place on October 10, 2021
Where is Miami Carnival?
For the people who are not playing mas, the Miami Carnival parade will take place at Miami Dade Fair Grounds — 10901 SW 24 St • Miami, FL 33165. You can pay $40usd to enter the grounds and spectate.
How do I get there?
While Miami Carnival is one of the easier events to attend, when you purchase your flight can make or break your budget.
FLY – Flying into Miami International Airport (MIA) or Fort Lauderdale airport (FLL) are your best options. Many people also drive into the city from nearby cities/states.
Where Would I Stay?
There are plenty lodging options in South Florida. To be ideally located to events, I would recommend staying in Miami Beach, Brickell, Wynwood, Hollywood Beach or Pembroke Pines/Miramar areas; they are all accessible via FL Turnpike/I95. Yes, you absolutely need to rent a car, it’s Florida.
Hotels I have personally stayed in and recommend
Who Would I Play Mas With ?
The Miami Carnival parade is one day, starting from 10AM to 12AM on October 10, 2021. To participate in the parade you have to register with a band. Should you choose not to register, you can pay to enter the park and spectate.
Here are the Miami Carnival 2021 Bands:
- Revel Nation – “Pandora” theme (Globey recommended)
- Party Room Squad – “Ready for di Road” theme
- Savage Mas – “Egypt” theme
- One Island Mas Band launched on June 5
- Ramajay Mas – “Carnival – The Rebirth of Happiness” theme
- Euphoria Mas – “Rebirth” theme
- K-Paya Carnival – “Imperiled Wonders” theme
- Mascots International – “Electrik Energy” theme
- Freaks Mas -“Revivre” theme
- GenerationX – “Immortals” theme
- D Junction Mas – “Mythical Creatures” theme
- Wassi Ones – “Queen of the South” theme
Unsure which band to play mas with? Checkout my 2019 Miami Carnival Review for feedback
What You Get for the price of your Costume
If you have attended Carnival in the Caribbean, you will see that Miami’s Carnival is largely different. Firstly, Miami’s Carnival takes place in an enclosed park. There will no “lunch stop” or glamhubs along the way. Here is what is typically included in your costume price:
- Your Costume
- The Band – Other masqueraders, vibes, trucks, DJs, speaker boxes
- Unlimited top shelf alcohol [some bands give chits for drink limits]
- Meals and Snacks
I know it’s been awhile since we’ve played mas so get into these masquerader tips for a refresher
Where to Party?
Miami has one of the best Caribbean party scenes in the States with some of the top Carnival promoters. Expect fetes likes Scorch x Hybrid Events lineup, Sunrise&Shades, Medz Miami and more. The Miami Carnival Fete list can be found here.
(non) Touristy Things To Check Out
After carnival, feel free to check out Miami; it’s an amazing city. Here are some other things you can do if you have a free day or two:
- Vizcaya Museum & Gardens
- Visit the art walls in Wynwood
- Perez Art Museum
- Miami Beach Botanical Gardens
- Nikki Beach (for expensive cocktails & ambience)
- Hardrock Hotel @ Night for the guitar lightshow & drinks (for a quick date w/ bae or friends)
- Seawell Fish N’ Oyster (for fresh seafood & excellent customer service)
- Shooters (amazing for weekend brunch; MUST make reservations)
COVID-19 Miami Carnival Guidance
- All Masqueraders and attendees will be required to wear a mask and keep it on while they are at all Miami Carnival events produced by the Miami Broward One Carnival Host Committee. (MBOCH)
- It is required that everyone who plans to attend MBOCH events provide a negative PCR Test collected 3 days prior (yes even if you’re vaccinated)
- All masqueraders and attendees will go through a temperature screening checkpoint. Additionally, each person entering MBOCH events without a personal-sized hand sanitizer will be given a small hand sanitizer bottle.
- Visit http://www.miamicarnival.org for more information
Won’t make Miami Carnival? Here’s a list of Caribbean fete weekends happening this summer