Regarded as the best carnival in North America – Miami Carnival is the perfect culmination of energy and spirit. Miami Carnival occurs from October 3 – October 9 this year.
Miami Carnival is simple to coordinate as a first time carnivalist. All you need to do is
- Purchase your flight
- Book your hotel accommodations
- Choose a band & register for a Carnival costume
- Decide which parties you want to attend & purchase event tickets
- Shop for your party outfits & Enjoy
Traveling to Miami for Carnival
Miami is easily accessible providing travelers with many options. You can drive into the city from surrounding states. There are people who braved the 18 hour drive from New York City.
There are two airports to fly into – Miami International Airport (MIA) and Fort Lauderdale Airport (FLL) FLL is sometimes cheaper to fly into, especially if you are using airline miles.
Accommodations for Miami Carnival
With accommodations, there are many options such as resorts, boutique hotels, AirBnB’s and short term rentals.
For quick access to events, stay in the Brickell / Miami Beach area. Staying in Miami will decrease cost regarding transportation. Feel free to reserve a car rental as you will need one in the Florida region. If you only attend events in the South Beach/Miami Beach area, Uber or Lyft are viable options.
Where does Miami Carnival occur?
The parade will take place on October 8, 2023. The Miami Carnival parade will take place at Miami Dade Fair Grounds — 10901 SW 24 St • Miami, FL 33165.
While I recommend participating in the carnival experience by registering with a band, patrons can enter the park to spectate. Park tickets are $50USD.
Carnival Bands to Play Mas With
“Playing mas” means you will be participating in the carnival parade. If you would like to wear one of the gorgeous costumes you have seen on Instagram, you need to register with a band. Registration consists of putting a deposit down on a costume you like. You will complete payment in October 2023.
Unlike carnivals in the Caribbean, Miami’s carnival takes place in an enclosed park. There will be no “lunch stop” or glamhubs along the way but meals & drinks are provided by premium bands. This is what you get:
- Your costume & goodie bag
- The band – Other masqueraders, vibes, trucks, DJs, speaker boxes
- Unlimited top shelf alcohol [some bands give chits for drink limits]
- Meals and snacks
Here is a list of 2023 Miami Carnival Bands:
Where to Party
Miami has one of the best Caribbean party scenes in the states with top Carnival promoters organizing events.
Encompassed in the carnival scene are different kinds of parties. There are (1) Beach fetes or Pool Parties (Involve a body of water) (2) All inclusive fetes (Premium event where people dress accordingly) (3) Cooler fetes (you can bring your own alcohol) (4) Boatrides (events on a vessel so you have to be on time) (5) All White events.
Here is a brief list of Miami Carnival events :
All Inclusive Event
Oct 6 – Citrus Miami All Inclusive – Purchase tickets here
Drinks Inclusive Event
- Oct 6 – Shorts & Shades Boatride (Food Inclusive) – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 6 – Big Phat Fish – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 7 – Soca Brainwash Miami 2023 – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 7 – Vale Vibe (Food Inclusive) – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 9 – Stink & Dutty Beach Jouvert – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 9 – Bacchanal Beach – Purchase tickets here
Cooler Fete (BYOB) Event
- Oct 6 – Splash Cooler Fete – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 7 – Scorch & Spice – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 7 – Viva La Carnival Cooler Fete – Purchase tickets here
Ticket cost covers entry only
- Oct 4 – Good Vibes Only – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 5 – Hookie Pool Party – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 5 – Entice Miami – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 6 – Duck Work Miami – Purchase tickets here
- Oct 9 – Glasshouse Miami – Purchase tickets here
Touristy Things to Do
After carnival, feel free to check out Miami; it’s an amazing city. Here are some other things you can do if you have a free day or two:
- Vizcaya Museum & Gardens
- Visit the art walls in Wynwood
- Perez Art Museum
- Miami Beach Botanical Gardens
- Nikki Beach (for expensive cocktails & ambience)
- Hardrock Hotel @ Night for the guitar light show & drinks (for a quick date w/ bae or friends)
- Seawell Fish N’ Oyster (for fresh seafood & excellent customer service)
- Shooters (amazing for weekend brunch; MUST make reservations)